I am just a girl who loves reading and talking about books
Nanyuki is one of the most beautiful towns in Kenya and I’m definitely lucky to call this place home. The town is well developed with good infrastructure, good tarmac roads, water and electricity even in the remotest farms.All the way, you get a beautiful view of the mountain especially early in the morning and late in the afternoon when you can even see the snow. The town is full of awesome entertainment spots mostly set in scenic areas with rivers, view Mt. Kenya or natural forests.
This weekend, I traveled home and got to spend an afternoon at Naro moru River Lodge with my mum. This lodge is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Naro moru. There is a serenity that I found there that quickly made me forget the hours that I had spent on the road from Nairobi.
Naro Moru River Lodge is located just a few minutes from the Naro Moru(this is the last town before you get to Nanyuki town). You will branch off from the main road at the police roadblock at Narumoro and take the left turn on the dust road. It’s only a 5 minutes drive. The road is dusty, bumpy and rough but don’t let that put you off.
Some of the key activities at Naro moru River Lodge include:
1. Mountain Climbing the Lodge offers a great location for those who want to climb Mt. Kenya through Lenana, Batian and Nelion routes. It is also a great place to rest and rejuvenate after climbing the mountain.
This is at the front entrance of the lodge, it shows Mt. Kenya, the white parts represent the snow at the mountain top
2. Bird Watching and Nature Trail- Although I didn’t get to do any bird watching while at the lodge, I understand the lodge is a great location for bird watchers. The nature trail also provides guests with scenic routes around the lodge
3. Accommodation- If you are looking for a place to stay in Naro moru, and then this lodge would be perfect for you. This is especially awesome for those who need a nice, quiet place away from noise or distractions. I saw the cottages and it made me dream of getting away for a few days, spending nights at the cottages and days under the trees in front of the river. Whether a romantic getaway or a family holiday, this place is really good. In addition, if you are looking for a honeymoon destination, this looks like a great place to consider.
4. Camping- A lot of people especially Nairobians only think of Naivasha when thinking of camping. However, Nanyuki has some great camping grounds in different resorts like the Naro moru Rive Lodge
5. Conference facilities- The Lodge has great conference facilities that would be perfect for organizations looking for a place to have retreats. With the serene environment and beautiful surroundings, this is a place even I would like to come back for a retreat. In addition, there are also team building activities that would be great for corporate
I really enjoyed my visit. Not only because of the scenic views all around but also because of the really friendly staff that had I met. From the waitress who served us to all the security guards, everyone was super friendly. In addition, we met the food and beverages manager, Augustine who was really good to us. He answered all our questions and volunteered additional information.
The prices are not so bad. However, if you are on a hustler’s budget like me, you better have lunch at Naro Moru town and then beverages at the lodge. Sodas are only Kshs.100.
Naro Moru River Lodge is definitely a place I hope to visit again.
For more information, visit the lodge’s official website at:
If you are looking for other lodges around Nanyuki, check out this list: