I recently read The Scandal/Beartown by Fredrik Backman. The book left me with all kinds of conflicting emotions. I was happy that I had read it but terribly sad when the story ended. I felt disappointed in myself for having read it fast instead of slowing down and prolonging the experience. I didn’t want to move on or read another book. I mean, what do you read after a book that takes such a toll on you? Simply put, the book gave me a massive hangover.
A book hangover is condition in which attachment to a book or series that has ended causes the reader traumatic emotional distress. It usually lasts for one to two weeks, or until a new book of higher-than-average quality enters the reader’s life.
In no particular order, below is a list of my worst book hangovers:
- The Scandal/ Beartown by Fredrick Backman
- The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- Wrecked by Maria Padian
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak- OMG, that final scene. Devastating!
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
- When we danced at the end of the pier by Sandy Taylor
- Stars Over Clear Lake by Loretta Ellsworth
- A Daughter’s Courage by Renita D’Silva
- Blindness by Jose Saramago
- The Book of Harlan by Bernice L. McFadden – I didn’t want this one to end. It was an emotional read but getting to the last page was difficult. I didn’t want my time with the book to end.
- Stay with me by Adebayo Ayobami
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
- A Mother’s Confession by Kelly Rimmer- That twist and the mother in law, that cover. So much to say about this one.
- It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover- What an emotional roller coaster.
When I first thought of writing this post, I had 5 books in mind. Then I decided to list 10 books because 10 is a good number, right? However, going through my blog, I ended up with 17 books read in the last year or so! These are the stories that stayed with me long after I turned the last page.
Have you read any of the books on my list?
Let me know the books that gave you hangovers.